"I think I owe you an apology." That may seem like a sincere apology, but I would not accept it. No, I am not a pretentious b, and I do have a method to my madness.
A bona fide apology cannot contain the word "think". If you "think" that you owe someone an apology, then you do not truly feel remorse for your actions. You're still covering your little behind with that word "think" because you're not admitting to yourself that you are in the wrong.
The same goes for the word "if". "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings." When you apologize, be upfront about it. Clearly you already feel that you owe them some sort of apology, so do it properly.
You need to say, "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings". Or, "I owe you an apology". Clear, concise, and sincere. Add-ons only prove that you're still in denial about your own wrongdoings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is the best thing I've read all week and I agree wholeheartedly.
ReplyDeleteI have learned though that it takes someone secure with their emotions to apologize sincerely and that these people tend to be few and far in between.
Find those that can apologize sincerely and keep them close, for those are the ones that will stand by you through anything and everything life can throw at you.
cordy