I was down in Virginia at the Shenandoah National Park this past weekend when this shot caught my eye. When I noticed it, I was in one of my moods... somewhat cranky and disinterested with no tangible reason for it. Everyone else was busy snapping away at the waterfall before us. But to me, it looked like every other waterfall I'd ever seen. Uninteresting.
I was determined to find beauty elsewhere, and so I turned the other way.
Beauty, you say? On facebook, when I uploaded it, the caption I posted underneath it read simply: "A tormented soul, à la Shakespearean tragedy?"
Yes, this shot evokes in me the vision of a truly classical lady, draped in layers of iridescent chiffon silk in jade. She must have been pulled aside whilst at a cotillion, and in some dimly lit hallways been informed of some happenstance which had her tearing back into the ballroom, gown shredded, eyes wild with the damnation of a thousand guardian spirits.
Perhaps she is Shakespeare's very own Ophelia?
There's rosemary,
that's for remembrance.
Pray you, love, remember.
And there's pansies, that's for thoughts.
There's fennel for you, and columbines.
There's rue for you, and here's some for me.
We may call it herb of grace o' Sundays.
Oh, you must wear your rue with a difference.
There's a daisy. I would give you some violets,
but they withered all when my father died.
They say he made a good end.
- Ophelia
Hamlet Prince of Denmark
Act IV Scene V
... Dramatic, yes. But that's just me. What do you see?

No comments:
Post a Comment