Home:Word; Magnetic North & Taiyo Na.
My favorite out of the three songs, it explores each of the individual emcee's definitions of home. Nostalgic and hopeful, it both reflects back on comfort tried and true, and looks forward to a "place that's keeping my faith".
I gotta get get gotta gotta get home
Hadn’t thought it possible but I forgot my own road
Thought I was so unstoppable forgot my ego
Then to topple down like dominoes a prodigal soul
But I’m not runnin' no more took off my air max
Used to hate staring at myself now I stare back
Mama pushed my hair back told me a secret
You never know home baby girl ‘til you leave it
Used to think home was a physical place
A space where you live and you lay
Your head to rest and wake up on a typical day
An address used to get deliveries made
But I’m homesick though in my own zip code
Wwistful swimming like a fish in a fish bowl
Wishful what am I searching for
I’m looking for a place where I don’t search no more.
Feel Like Home; Fort Minor, featuring Styles of Beyond.
A strikingly different atmosphere from the previous track, dark vibes oozing from every line. There's a sense of morbid discontent, a search for some worldly fulfillment and familiarity, with limited success. A natural sense of home seems to be fairly mythical, until it is discovered that it can be fabricated to mitigate the senses.
At times like these you start thinking
Your first breath in and the clock starts ticking
I'm not trying to bum anyone out
Not trying to be dramatic
just thinking out loud
I'm just trying to make some sense in my mind
Some defense from the cold that I'm feeling outside and for a minute
Escape with some rhythm and rhyme and
Get away from the grey
Just a bit at a time
These days are dark and the nights are cold
People acting like they lost their soul
And everywhere I go I see another person like me
Trying to make it all feel like home
And if you look hard enough
Sometimes you'll find a place that might just remind you of home
But if it doesn't feel like home
You can do what I do
Just pretend you don't feel so alone
Never Forget You; Lupe Fiasco, featuring John Legend.
The only track that doesn't explicitly deal with "home", included because of the nostalgic vibes, a reflection and appreciation for all the good and bad of the past. A fond remembrance of the past provides the strength and wisdom to pursue a hopeful future.
These are shades of my youthI've been away for too long. Feels good to be home. :)
Trials of a child, everything truth
Moments of the past, comin' back to find us
Not to relive them, just to remind us
Take to that old familiar place
Take me to memories we won't erase
Take me to all that we had
Good and the bad

No comments:
Post a Comment