Friday, July 29, 2011

I wonder what it's like to be right there in his shoes.


Having semi-regular conversations with my mom about friends we have, people we've known, and their individual struggles and tribulations. Disregarding the larger scope of pain that most of us are somewhat directly removed from, ie. starvation, genocide, etc., there is so much pain in this world that I'm only separated from by one or two degrees. Broken lives, broken families, shattered by marital problems, mental illnesses, shameful isolation, mental handicaps, terminal illnesses, emotional scarring.

I've been surrounded by such people since early childhood, and at times, I find that the conditioning makes me numb to the uniqueness of their situations. They're not objectively defined "wrecks", they're just people. People that I know, that my parents know, people whom we love. It's easy to judge them, to find fault in the ways that they react to their pain and say, "that's not the right way to do it", but imagine being in their position. Screw numbness, my heart bleeds at the thought.

I cannot fully understand your pain, nor would I be foolish enough to desire the comprehensive understanding that comes with first-hand experience, but know that my prayers are always with you. Be strong... resist the urge to hide away, and meet the world head on. There will always be someone who cares enough to share your burden, even if they cannot carry it for you. As I'm learning, only Jesus has that power, if you'll let Him.

I am truly blessed to have been born into such a loving family. Thank you Mom, Dad, Luke, for nurturing me into the person that I am today. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment